With so many options, finding the best sunscreen for melasma can be overwhelming. There are so many things to consider such as ingredients, formula, brand name, price, and so much more. Needless to say, this can be pretty time-consuming.
To save you the hassle, we researched hundreds of products and sifted through thousands of customer reviews. Then we checked the ingredients, formula, efficacy, and price. Based on this, we bring you the best sunscreen for melasma. Let’s have a look.
Top 12 Best Sunscreens for Melasma & Hyperpigmentation
- Perfect sun protection for your face skin - Helps prevent melasma, freckles and pigmentation caused by sunlight. UV-A causes freckle, melasma and aging and UV-B causes sunburn and their blocking rate are 97.6% and 98.9% respectively.
- Containing functional ingrdients for skincare - Niacinamide(Whitening & Brightening effects), Adenocine(Wrinkle improvement, Collagen production), Green tea leaf extract, Rosemary leaf extract, Aloe extracts and other ingredients for skin.
- No need to apply sticky sunscreen every 2 hours - Unlike sunscreens that loses their function after 2 hours, this patch will last for a long time once applied. It's very comfortable and you can get a real peace of mind!
- Widest range of protection - Much bigger patches for your cheeks. Two more patches for your nose and forehead. Don't forget that the nose and forehead are also important areas that need to be protected from the sun.
- Cool and comfortable feeling on your face - You can feel even cooler due to its gel formulation so it allows you to focus on your sports activities and helps improve your performance than others.
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 face sunscreen for oily skin contains 9.0% Zinc Oxide, Niacinamide and an antioxidant to promote healthy skin while blocking harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun
- Apply this face sunscreen for sensitive skin daily to help soothe sensitive skin types prone to acne, rosacea and hyperpigmentation
- EltaMD UV Clear oil free sunscreen protects against breakouts and is an essential acne sunscreen for those with acne prone skin care concerns
- Broad-spectrum SPF 46 coverage ensures this sensitive skin sunscreen helps protect you from the sun and is a daily face sunscreen for your everyday skin care needs
- This Zinc Oxide sunscreen is a non greasy sunscreen sensitive skin lotion recommended by Dermatologists that is fragrance-free, paraben-free, sensitivity-free, and noncomedogenic
- Face sunscreen for oily skin with broad spectrum SPF 60 protection; Sunscreen absorbs pore clogging oil, even in heat and humidity; Formulated with cell Ox shield antioxidant technology; Suitable for sensitive skin
- This oil free sunscreen provides advanced protection while absorbing pore-clogging oil, even in heat and humidity. Our best sunscreen for acne prone skin is formulated with Cell-Ox Shield technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants.
- Non-comedogenic sunscreen for oily skin provides broad spectrum SPF 60 protection. Oil-free sunscreen for acne prone skin helps absorb excess oil, reduce shine and won't cause breakouts
- Formulated and rigorously tested for skin tolerance, even on sensitive skin
- OXYBENZONE FREE, fragrance free, allergy tested, oil free, paraben free
- Apply this tinted face sunscreen daily to help soothe sensitive skin types prone to acne, rosacea and hyperpigmentation
- Broad-spectrum SPF 46 coverage ensures this tinted sensitive skin sunscreen helps protect you from the sun and is a great daily face sunscreen for your everyday skincare needs
- Easily pack this 1.7 oz travel size sunscreen on the go when you need a lightweight, tinted, oil free sunscreen to help protect you from damaging UVA and UVB rays
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 Tinted Face Sunscreen is a Dermatologist recommended fragrance free sunscreen that is paraben-free, sensitivity-free, and noncomedogenic
- This clear Zinc Oxide sunscreen lotion contains 9.0% Zinc Oxide and key ingredients to promote healthy skin while blocking harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun
- Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Moisturizer with vitamin c and vitamin e is an innovative serum with SPF provides advanced protection to help visibly improve the appearance of fine lines, dark spots, and skin texture.
- This daily face sunscreen and anti aging serum protect against sun damage and premature aging.
- Breakthrough water-based serum for a fresh & invisible finish on skin. Sheer finish sunscreen, oil free
- Visibly smooths and blurs fine lines, wrinkles and pores for an even complexion and younger-looking skin
- A powerful antioxidant complex of Baicalin, Vitamin C and Vitamin E help protect skin from free radicals caused by UV rays
- SPF 100 sunscreen for face and body, specifically formulated to help protect skin that burns easily. Ideal for: face + ears, nose, scalp + hairline, arms + hands, full body, neck + chest.
- The only oxybenzone-free SPF 100 Sunscreen with Cell-Ox Shield Technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants.
- Oxybenzone and Octinoxate-free sunscreen for face & body helps protect sun-sensitive skin and skin prone to burning from UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays with our highest SPF level of 100
- Blends easily without leaving a white cast behind. Wearable under makeup. Water resistant up to 80 minutes
- Formulated and rigorously tested for skin tolerance, even on sensitive skin. Formulated with Vitamin B5: Panthenol (provitamin B5) is a key ingredient used in some La Roche-Posay formulas to help the skin feel soothed and moisturized.
- This lightweight 100% mineral tinted face sunscreen with titanium dioxide was developed for sensitive skin and provides broad spectrum SPF 50 protection
- The fast-absorbing texture leaves a tinted matte finish on skin for a healthy glow
- It is formulated with Cell-Ox Shield technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants
- Non-greasy, fast absorbing texture with a matte finish and universal tint for all skin types. Lightly tinted sunscreen with iron oxides to provide a healthy glow
- The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends this product as an effective aid in the prevention of sun-induced damage to the skin, including sunburn and possibly premature aging
- SPF 50 broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Universal tint for instant healthy glow
- Ultra light texture
- Fragrance free, paraben free and water resistant (40 minutes)
- Recommended for sensitive skin
- Protects: Provides high broad spectrum protection, using zinc oxide to block the sun’s harmful rays and reduce the risk of sun damage.
- Repairs: Addresses previous sun damage and supports collagen in the skin to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Corrects: Provides the perfect finish with a versatile tint, which helps skin look more even in tone and corrects visible imperfections.
- Natural Ingredients - (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Cystoseira Tamariscifolia Extract, Honey Extract, Verbascum Thapsus Extract. Inlifay Dark Spot Remover can provide you an effective and safe solution for the annoying dark spots on your face.
- For Dark Spots on Face - Formulated with various natural extracts and essential oils, our Dark Spot Corrector is the perfect Skin Hyperpigmentation Treatment for your face. It is designed to treat Sun Spots, Face Melasma, Pregnancy Freckles, and Freckles (everything except age spots).
- For All Skin Types - Inlifay Dark Spot Correct Cream is designed to be a solution for both men and women of every skin type. You can apply it to your whole body even the sensitive parts. It is non-invasive but effective skincare you can afford.
- For Nighttime Usage- After cleansing and toning, apply a proper amount of dark spot corrector on your dark spots, and gently massage until fully absorbed. Apply in the evening.
- Obvious Results - 1. In about 2 weeks the deeper skin of the dark spots will begin to fade-out. In 5-6 weeks, the melanin will begin to dissolve, and you will see noticeable spot reductions. Obvious results can usually be seen in 6-8 weeks; 2. It takes longer (around 2-3 months) for people with thick stratum corneum to see obvious results.
- SPF FACE MOISTURIZER: Essential-C Day Moisture is a hydrating moisturizer for face with SPF 30 to shield skin from damaging UV rays, while antioxidants protect against environmental aggressors.
- BRIGHTENS and REVITALIZES: Boosting skin radiance, the Next-Generation Vitamin C face moisturizer improves skin clarity, brightens and evens skin tone for a glowing, youthful complexion.
- DAILY MOISTURIZER: Suitable for use as part of your morning skincare routine, this SPF face moisturizer’s formulation is suitable for use on Normal, Dry, Oily, Combination and Sensitive skin types.
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS: Our Vitamin C face cream also contains antioxidant Ginkgo Biloba and Broad-Spectrum Sunscreens to help block UV rays. Formulated without Parabens, Sulfates or Phthalates.
- HOW TO USE: In the morning, begin by using Essential-C Cleanser and Toner, then apply the face moisturizer with SPF liberally and evenly over the face, neck, and chest, massaging in to skin.
- YOUR SOLUTION FOR: Protection against photoaging and sun-induced skin damage
- ACTION: Broad spectrum UVA/UVB; Protection SPF50+; Protect against photoaging and address sun-induced skin damage.
- TESTED: Non-greasy, SPF 50+, Easy application of foundation, Paraben Free
- TECHNOLOGY: Mineral sunscreen, 11% Zinc Oxide, DNA Repairsomes Help repair previous sun-induced damage, Vitamin E antioxidant that helps protect against environmental damage.
- PRO TIP: Shake the bottle before every usage - Apply the equivalent of 2 finger-lengths on your face and neck 15 minutes before sun exposure. During sun exposure, reapply after 40 minutes of swimming or sweating, immediately after towel drying and at least every 2 hours.
- This 100% mineral filter broad-spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen offers UVA/UVB protection & has a blendable tint. Approved by the National Eczema Association & Skin Cancer Foundation.
- It's a lightweight, multi-defense shield against pollution & blue light. The sunscreen soothes & calms sensitive skin.
- The tinted, fragrance-free formula helps improve skin tone & visible redness for a healthy, glowing appearance.
- Apply to face & neck 15 min. before sun exposure. Reapply every 2 hr. & after swimming or sweating.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Sunscreens for Melasma & Hyperpigmentation
When it comes to choosing the best sunscreen for melasma, the most important thing to consider is the ingredients. If you’re particularly allergic to a specific ingredient, make sure to only choose products that don’t contain it. This way, you won’t experience allergies or irritation when using a sunscreen .
Another important thing to consider is the price. You shouldn’t always chase the cheapest product on the market as it can cause problems in the long run. Similarly, just because a product is expensive doesn’t mean that it’s the right product for you. Make sure to do your due diligence when shopping for the best sunscreen for melasma.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
When looking for the best sunscreen for melasma, it’s better to avoid harsh chemicals. Generally, it’s better to look for a product that doesn’t contain synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc. Even the reputable products can sometimes contain these chemicals, it’s important to look at the formula. Too much of these chemicals can be bad for you.
If a product is well-received on Amazon, chances are it’s usually pretty good. These reviews are generally a testament to the efficacy of a product. When shopping for the best sunscreen for melasma, you should usually go with product with the star rating of 3. 5 or more. The higher the better!
Finally, when it comes to beauty, skincare, or hair care products, it’s usually better to stick with reputable products. There are so many products available on the market, but the brands which have stood the test of time are the ones that you should generally go for. At the same time, don’t be afraid of experimenting with new products.
No matter which sunscreen you’re considering, it’s important to do a patch test first (even if a product is well-received). Everyone is different and so are their needs. So, always be sure to do a patch test when you try out a new product.
It can be challenging to find the best sunscreen for melasma. However, we’ve done all the heavy-lifting for you. We hope this article helped you find the best sunscreen for your needs.
Which one of these sunscreen s are you going to try? Let us know in the comments below. If you have any questions, ask away.