With so many options, finding the best sunscreen for melasma can be overwhelming. There are so many things to consider such as ingredients, formula, brand name, price, and so much more. Needless to say, this can be pretty time-consuming.
To save you the hassle, we researched hundreds of products and sifted through thousands of customer reviews. Then we checked the ingredients, formula, efficacy, and price. Based on this, we bring you the best sunscreen for melasma. Let’s have a look.
Top 12 Best Sunscreens for Melasma & Hyperpigmentation
- This lightweight 100% mineral tinted face sunscreen with titanium dioxide was developed for sensitive skin and provides broad spectrum SPF 50 protection
- The fast-absorbing texture leaves a tinted matte finish on skin for a healthy glow
- It is formulated with Cell-Ox Shield technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants
- Non-greasy, fast absorbing texture with a matte finish and universal tint for all skin types. Lightly tinted sunscreen with iron oxides to provide a healthy glow
- The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends this product as an effective aid in the prevention of sun-induced damage to the skin, including sunburn and possibly premature aging
- SPF 50 broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Universal tint for instant healthy glow
- Ultra light texture
- Fragrance free, paraben free and water resistant (40 minutes)
- Recommended for sensitive skin
- Perfect sun protection for your face skin - Helps prevent melasma, freckles and pigmentation caused by sunlight. UV-A causes freckle, melasma and aging and UV-B causes sunburn and their blocking rate are 97.6% and 98.9% respectively.
- Containing functional ingrdients for skincare - Niacinamide(Whitening & Brightening effects), Adenocine(Wrinkle improvement, Collagen production), Green tea leaf extract, Rosemary leaf extract, Aloe extracts and other ingredients for skin.
- No need to apply sticky sunscreen every 2 hours - Unlike sunscreens that loses their function after 2 hours, this patch will last for a long time once applied. It's very comfortable and you can get a real peace of mind!
- Widest range of protection - Much bigger patches for your cheeks. Two more patches for your nose and forehead. Don't forget that the nose and forehead are also important areas that need to be protected from the sun.
- Cool and comfortable feeling on your face - You can feel even cooler due to its gel formulation so it allows you to focus on your sports activities and helps improve your performance than others.
- SPF 50 sport sunscreen protects your skin from outdoor UVA and UVB rays and is specially formulated for active lifestyles and outdoor activities
- This water resistant sunscreen lotion protects you in the water for up to 80 minutes and won’t sting when you sweat or rinse off in the water
- Promote healthy skin while staying active outdoors with EltaMD UV Sport Sunscreen with Zinc Oxide
- EltaMD body sunscreen is made for active lifestyles, easily apply this broad spectrum full body sunscreen on wet or dry skin
- EltaMD UV Sport sunscreen helps protect your skin from damaging UVA and UVB rays with essential ingredients including Zinc Oxide and an antioxidant
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 face sunscreen for oily skin contains 9.0% Zinc Oxide, Niacinamide and an antioxidant to promote healthy skin while blocking harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun
- This product is non-sealed
- Apply this face sunscreen for sensitive skin daily to help soothe sensitive skin types prone to acne, rosacea and hyperpigmentation
- EltaMD UV Clear oil free sunscreen protects against breakouts and is an essential acne sunscreen for those with acne prone skin care concerns
- Broad-spectrum SPF 46 coverage ensures this sensitive skin sunscreen helps protect you from the sun and is a daily face sunscreen for your everyday skin care needs
- This Zinc Oxide sunscreen is a non greasy sunscreen sensitive skin lotion recommended by Dermatologists that is fragrance-free, paraben-free, sensitivity-free, and noncomedogenic
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM SUNSCREEN FOR FACE ] 100% Mineral-based sunscreen, also known as a physical sunscreen, reflects UVA/UVB rays to help protect the skin. Developed with dermatologists by CeraVe Skincare.
- [ MINERAL SUNSCREEN APPLICATION ] Physical sunscreens can often leave a white cast when applied in thick layers. For best results, apply CeraVe Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen evenly to the entire face and neck in thin layers and thoroughly massage into skin. Suitable for use under foundation and face makeup.
- [ HAWAII COMPLIANT SUNSCREEN ] Oxybenzone free, avobenzone free, and benzene free, this sunscreen contains physical filters Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. Hawaii prohibits the sale, offer of sale and distribution of sunscreens that contain oxybenzone.
- [ 3 ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and can become damaged with sun exposure. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier.
- [ GENTLE FORMULA ] Formula is oil free, fragrance free, noncomedogenic, and suitable for sensitive skin. Recommended by both the Skin Cancer Foundation and National Eczema Association as an effective, broad spectrum sunscreen.
- YOUR SOLUTION FOR: protecting the skin from the sun’s harmful rays and reducing the risk of sun damage.
- TESTED: Sun skin care that does not clog pores, versatile tint provides the perfect finish and evens skin tone, can be used under makeup.
- TECHNOLOGY: Photoaging defense by boosting the skin’s natural antioxidant defenses with vitamin E.
- DEVELOPED IN: Spain
- MULTITASKING SUNSCREEN - Supergoop! Glowscreen is a broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 40 that helps filter blue light andt doubles as a makeup-gripping primer for dewy, glowing skin that isn’t greasy or oily.
- YOUR NEW GLOW-TO - Glowscreen’s hydrating formula perfects skin, giving it a healthy dose of pearlescence and creating a totally dewy base layer for your look.
- GOOD TO GLOW - With hyaluronic acid, vitamin B5, and niacinamide, this face sunscreen leaves skin naturally supple and dewy from the inside out. One step, and you’re good to glow.
- POWERFUL INGREDIENTS - Our hydration blend helps boost moisture in the skin, leaving it feeling soft and nourished. Sea lavender provides antioxidant protection, while supporting long-lasting hydration.
- HOW TO APPLY - Apply generously and evenly as the last step in your skincare routine and before makeup.
- Multi-award winning sunscreen with advanced protection in a fast-absorbing, velvety texture that leaves skin hydrated and smooth. Broad Spectrum SPF 60
- Allure 2022 Best of Beauty Award Winner. Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Formulated with Cell-Ox Shield technology: broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with antioxidants. Formulated and rigorously tested for skin tolerance, even on sensitive skin
- Face and body sunscreen in a non-greasy, fast-absorbing texture leaves skin hydrated and smooth with a velvety texture
- Octinoxate- & Oxybenzone-free sunscreen provides broad spectrum SPF 60 protection
- Packaging may Vary.
- GENTLE NON-ABRASIVE LEAVE-ON EXFOLIATOR: with 2% BHA (Beta hydroxy acid) to unclog & diminish enlarged pores, exfoliate dead skin cells, smooth wrinkles & brighten & even out skin tone. Combats redness, wrinkles, aging, enlarged pores, & blackheads. PACKAGING MAY VARY.
- Dramatically improves skin's texture for radiant youthful even-toned skin. Beta hydroxy acid (BHA also known as salicylic acid) mimics the natural exfoliation process of younger skin by helping it shed extra layers while unclogging and clearing pores.
- HYDRATE, BRIGHTEN & SMOOTH FINE LINES: Our unique, non-abrasive, leave-on exfoliant is gentle enough for daily use on all skin types. Exfoliates dead skin cells while clearing pores for a more even tone, plus it visibly reduces fine lines & wrinkles.
- Paula's Choice facial exfoliants are gentler on delicate skin of the face & neck than an abrasive face scrub, which can cause micro-tears. A BHA leave-on exfoliator delivers hydration & can exfoliate directly inside the pore & improve how the pore works.
- Paula's Choice Skincare makes products that work. No fragrance, no parabens, no fluff. Just effective, science-backed formulas that target any concern from wrinkles to breakouts.
- SAFE, NATURAL PROTECTION: Thinkbaby sunscreen provides effective SPF 50+ sun protection for babies. The broad spectrum UVA & UVB baby sunblock is suitable for daily use on infants’ sensitive skin, offering gentle defense against the sun’s rays
- EASY APPLICATION: The hydrating sun cream is quick and easy to apply to even the most active babies, and protection begins instantly. The fast absorbing kids sun lotion won’t leave skin feeling oily or sticky, and has no unpleasant chemical scent.
- CLEAN MINERAL FORMULA: The first sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements, Thinkbaby vegan, Leaping Bunny certified sun creams contain no PABA, parabens, phthalates, BPA, oxybenzone, avobenzone, petroleum, gluten, dairy, or toxic chemicals.
- WATER RESISTANT: Your baby can splash, swim and play in the water safely. Our children’s sun cream provides the highest water resistance per the FDA, offering babies continuous protection for up to 80 minutes in the pool or sea before the sunscreen should be re-applied.
- REEF FRIENDLY: Safe for babies, and safe for the earth. Produced in the USA, our sunscreen’s active ingredient is non-nano Zinc Oxide, and the formula is highly biodegradable, non toxic and does not contain any known chemicals harmful to coral reefs.
- DARK SPOT SERUM: This dark spot corrector for face and neck effectively removes existing dark spots, plus the dark spot pigment lightening formula also helps prevent dark spots you can’t yet see.
- BRIGHTENS & REJUVENATES: Exfoliating away dull skin, the soothing facial serum promotes surface cell turnover leaving facial skin looking brighter, more even and naturally radiant.
- DAILY SKIN TREATMENT: This dark spot serum is suitable for use on Normal, Dry, Oily, and Combination skin types, and the skin lightening serum formulation can be used daily on a range of skin tones.
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS: Patented Resorcinol reduces the intensity of dark spots, while Tranexamic Acid and Glycolic Acid exfoliate and brighten. Formulated without Parabens, Sulfates or Phthalates.
- HOW TO USE : After cleansing, apply a thin layer of dark spot remover serum to the entire face, both morning and night. Follow with SPF Moisturizer during the day, and Detox Moisturizer at night.
- Apply this tinted face sunscreen daily to help soothe sensitive skin types prone to acne, rosacea and hyperpigmentation
- This product is non-sealed
- Broad-spectrum SPF 46 coverage ensures this tinted sensitive skin sunscreen helps protect you from the sun and is a great daily face sunscreen for your everyday skincare needs
- Easily pack this 1.7 oz travel size sunscreen on the go when you need a lightweight, tinted, oil free sunscreen to help protect you from damaging UVA and UVB rays
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 Tinted Face Sunscreen is a Dermatologist recommended fragrance free sunscreen that is paraben-free, sensitivity-free, and noncomedogenic
- This clear Zinc Oxide sunscreen lotion contains 9.0% Zinc Oxide and key ingredients to promote healthy skin while blocking harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Sunscreens for Melasma & Hyperpigmentation
When it comes to choosing the best sunscreen for melasma, the most important thing to consider is the ingredients. If you’re particularly allergic to a specific ingredient, make sure to only choose products that don’t contain it. This way, you won’t experience allergies or irritation when using a sunscreen .
Another important thing to consider is the price. You shouldn’t always chase the cheapest product on the market as it can cause problems in the long run. Similarly, just because a product is expensive doesn’t mean that it’s the right product for you. Make sure to do your due diligence when shopping for the best sunscreen for melasma.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
When looking for the best sunscreen for melasma, it’s better to avoid harsh chemicals. Generally, it’s better to look for a product that doesn’t contain synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc. Even the reputable products can sometimes contain these chemicals, it’s important to look at the formula. Too much of these chemicals can be bad for you.
If a product is well-received on Amazon, chances are it’s usually pretty good. These reviews are generally a testament to the efficacy of a product. When shopping for the best sunscreen for melasma, you should usually go with product with the star rating of 3. 5 or more. The higher the better!
Finally, when it comes to beauty, skincare, or hair care products, it’s usually better to stick with reputable products. There are so many products available on the market, but the brands which have stood the test of time are the ones that you should generally go for. At the same time, don’t be afraid of experimenting with new products.
No matter which sunscreen you’re considering, it’s important to do a patch test first (even if a product is well-received). Everyone is different and so are their needs. So, always be sure to do a patch test when you try out a new product.
It can be challenging to find the best sunscreen for melasma. However, we’ve done all the heavy-lifting for you. We hope this article helped you find the best sunscreen for your needs.
Which one of these sunscreen s are you going to try? Let us know in the comments below. If you have any questions, ask away.