With so many options, finding the best shampoo for sensitive skin can be overwhelming. There are so many things to consider such as ingredients, formula, brand name, price, and so much more. Needless to say, this can be pretty time-consuming.
To save you the hassle, we researched hundreds of products and sifted through thousands of customer reviews. Then we checked the ingredients, formula, efficacy, and price. Based on this, we bring you the best shampoo for sensitive skin. Let’s have a look.
Top 10 Best Shampoos for Sensitive Skin
- Mild shampoo: This fragrance-free shampoo is pH balanced for all hair types; sensitive formula effectively and gently cleans both hair and scalp, helps remove flaking and scaling, and controls oily scalp
- Gentle scalp care: Formulated to avoid common chemical irritants and harsh cleansing agents; this hair shampoo is betaine-free, gluten-free, sulfate-free, silicone-free, and protein-free
- Ingredients for sensitive skin: Our products are free of dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens and formaldehyde releasers
- Dermatologist tested: Vanicream Shampoo is formulated with ingredients dermatologists consider desirable and not irritating or sensitizing to the skin
- Directions: Wet hair, apply shampoo, lather, rinse and repeat; avoid getting in eyes, and flush immediately with water if this occurs; packaging may vary
- UNSCENTED SHAMPOO: Our natural Unscented shampoo gently cleanse your hair and scalp, leaving your hair smooth and shiny. For better results, use it with ATTITUDE Extra Gentle & Volumizing Unscented Conditioner for Sensitive Skin
- NATURAL SHAMPOO ENRICHED WITH OATMEAL: Perfectly blended with oatmeal known for its natural nourishing properties deeply hydrates your hair and with grapeseed oil to gently cleanse your sensitive scalp
- HYPOALLERGENIC SHAMPOO: Ideal for people who are sensitive to smells, our Unscented shampoo is dermatologist-tested and is free of irritants such as fragrances and dyes
- EWG VERIFIED SHAMPOO: Listed green in the EWG’s Skin Deep Database
- PETA CERTIFIED: Vegan, cruelty-free and never tested on animals
- Cleanse Without Stripping: Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Gentle and Soft Shampoo gently cleanses without stripping hair
- Ideal For Sensitive Scalps: This ultra gentle shampoo cleanses hair and helps to soften strands
- With Micellar Water: To help remove dirt, sebum and debris leaving hair and scalp refreshed
- Helps Maintain Scalp's Natural Barrier: Our sensitive scalp, pH-balanced shampoo helps maintain scalp's natural barrier with regular use
- Gentle, Non-Medicated Shampoo: Free from parabens, phthalates, sulfated surfactants, SLS and SLES
- Oat is the first ingredient in this scalp-soothing, softening, farm-fresh inspired blend infused with rose water and chamomile making gentle cleansing easy for sensitive skin
- Blended for sensitive scalps to achieve a gentle cleanse and soft bounce from root to tip, these farm-to-shower fresh blend of ingredients work together to help promote a healthy scalp environment while enhancing your hair's natural beauty
- Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, free from dyes and parabens, making it safe for all hair types including color treated hair
- We are inspired by nature; our oat is sourced from a small town mill where pride and quality go hand and hand and we do not test our products on animals
- Aveeno is a trusted household brand established in 1945 and is best known for its line of skin soothing products, where oat's natural soothing properties are put to work in body, face and scalp applications
- [ DEVELOPED WITH PEDIATRIC DERMATOLOGISTS, NO NASTIES & TEAR-FREE ] this gentle, tear-free, non-irritating bathtime product is a 2-in-1 baby shampoo and body wash that is free of fragrance, parabens, dyes, phthalates, and sulfates.
- [ DAILY BABY SKIN CARE ] Mild body wash and shampoo for babies forms a mild foam as you lather into skin and rinses clean with no residue, leaving skin feeling hydrated and fresh, not stripped of moisture.
- [ HYDRATING BABY BODY WASH & SHAMPOO ] Formulated with 3 Essential Ceramides to reinforce baby's skin barrier, Hyaluronic Acid to help retain skin's moisture, and Vitamin E to provide soothing. Cleanse skin without disrupting baby’s skin barrier.
- [ National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance] Accepted by the National Eczema Association which only accepts products that have satisfied criteria for use for those with eczema or sensitive skin condition.
- [ 3 ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. Lipids like ceramides fill in the gaps between skin cells so baby's skin can seal in moisture and keep impurities out.
- 3 essential ceramides help repair the skin barrier
- Vitamin enriched to help moisturize
- Hypoallergenic, fragrance free and proven gentle
- Made without: Phthalates, parabens, dyes, synthetic fragrances, formaldehyde donors, SLS/SLES
- Gentle for baby; Perfect for sensitive skin
- Dermatologist-tested; Hypoallergenic
- No synthetic fragrances; Tear-free
- Not tested on animals; No animal byproduct
- DHS Clear Shampoo- Enjoy luxurious shampoo that cleanses without added irritants! This indulgent shampoo gives hair a deep, nourishing, gentle cleanse even if your hair is curly or thin.
- Irritant Free- Formulated with only what your hair needs, our anti residue shampoo for men and women cleans and nourishes without parabens or added scents and dyes.
- PH Balanced- We did more than create a shampoo free of irritating chemicals; our formula is carefully tailored to keep your scalp's PH balanced to avoid dry, flaky skin.
- How To Use- After getting your hair wet, apply a generous amount of shampoo and massage to a rich lather, then rinse. Repeat as necessary.
- A Brand you can Trust- Person and Covey has been working alongside the scientific community to bring you the best in safe, gentle skin and hair care products since 1941.
- SENSITIVE SKIN RELIEF: Enriched with oat extract, known for its soothing properties
- THOUGHTFUL INGREDIENTS: Hypoallergenic shampoo made with naturally sourced ingredients offering an unscented formula carefully designed for those sensitive to perfume and fragrances
- EWG VERIFIED: Clean ingredients, full transparency and good manufacturing practices
- ECOLOGO CERTIFIED: Biodegradable formula, 100% vegan and cruelty-free
- GOOD FOR THE PLANET: Offered in a bottle that is made from recycled HDPE #2 plastic, the easiest plastic to recycle, and that can be refilled again and again thanks to innovative eco-refills
- BALANCED MOISTURE: Oat is the first ingredient in this scalp-soothing, farm-fresh inspired shampoo infused with almond milk for lightly nourished, soft strands from root to tip and a healthy scalp
- FOR ALL HAIR TYPES: This shampoo offers balanced moisture for daily use & all hair types, a perfect blend for an entire family. It's free of sulfates, dyes & parabens & safe for color treated hair
- FARM FRESH INSPIRED: We make hair care products that promote healthy hair & scalp, from shampoo & conditioner to hair masks, leave-in milks, mists & oils.
- SOOTHING PROPERTIES: We've been a trusted household brand since 1945. We're best known for our skin & hair care products, where oat's soothing properties are put to work on body, face and scalp
- BEAUTIFUL HAIR FROM ROOT TO TIP: Our hair care products are blended in perfect balance with wholesome ingredients to help soothe your scalp and nourish your strands for beautiful hair from root to tip
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: The formula of our folliculitis treatment shampoo is specifically designed by Laboratories. Mixed with Piroctone Olamine, other effective ingredients and herb exacts, it also functions as dandruff treatment, seborrheic dermatitis scalp treatment and scalp psoriasis treatment.
- HIGHLY EFFECTIVE: Works to the roots of follicles, our folliculitis shampoo can heal your hair follicles and scalps effectively. It relieves itching, scalp acne, flaking, burning, redness, scaling, and pain within a few weeks. Good ingredients adsorb on hair and form a film to protect hairs.
- NATURAL FORMULA: Our folliculitis and seborrheic dermatitis shampoo contains powerful mild herbage extraction ingredients to relieve the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis & scalp psoriasis. It is a natural and safe medicated shampoo for scalp problems.
- EASY TO USE: This folliculitis shampoo has a good design for using and preventing leaking. Apply it into the scalp. Message for 3-5 minutes to allow maximum absorption. Then rinse and repeat as needed. Say good-bye to folliculitis, dandruff, itchy scalp, and flaky scalp.
- SCALP TREATMENT: Our shampoo is one of the best shampoo for scalp acne, anti dandruff shampoo for men and women. We highlight consumer needs and provide innovative solutions to your scalp problems.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Shampoos for Sensitive Skin
When it comes to choosing the best shampoo for sensitive skin, the most important thing to consider is the ingredients. If you’re particularly allergic to a specific ingredient, make sure to only choose products that don’t contain it. This way, you won’t experience allergies or irritation when using a shampoo.
Another important thing to consider is the price. You shouldn’t always chase the cheapest product on the market as it can cause problems in the long run. Similarly, just because a product is expensive doesn’t mean that it’s the right product for you. Make sure to do your due diligence when shopping for the best shampoo for sensitive skin.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
When looking for the best shampoo for sensitive skin, it’s better to avoid harsh chemicals. Generally, it’s better to look for a product that doesn’t contain synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc. Even the reputable products can sometimes contain these chemicals, it’s important to look at the formula. Too much of these chemicals can be bad for you.
If a product is well-received on Amazon, chances are it’s usually pretty good. These reviews are generally a testament to the efficacy of a product. When shopping for the best shampoo for sensitive skin, you should usually go with product with the star rating of 3. 5 or more. The higher the better!
Read Customer Reviews
Reading customer reviews can also be helpful when purchasing the best shampoo for sensitive skin. It’s possible that someone else who has the same needs as you has already tried and reviewed the product. Reading their review will give you an idea on whether or not the shampoo you’re looking to buy is worth your time and money.
Finally, when it comes to beauty, skincare, or hair care products, it’s usually better to stick with reputable products. There are so many products available on the market, but the brands which have stood the test of time are the ones that you should generally go for. At the same time, don’t be afraid of experimenting with new products.
No matter which shampoo you’re considering, it’s important to do a patch test first (even if a product is well-received). Everyone is different and so are their needs. So, always be sure to do a patch test when you try out a new product.
It can be challenging to find the best shampoo for sensitive skin. However, we’ve done all the heavy-lifting for you. We hope this article helped you find the best shampoo for your needs.
Which one of these shampoos are you going to try? Let us know in the comments below. If you have any questions, ask away.