With so many options, finding the best shampoo for curly hair can be overwhelming. There are so many things to consider such as ingredients, formula, brand name, price, and so much more. Needless to say, this can be pretty time-consuming.
To save you the hassle, we researched hundreds of products and sifted through thousands of customer reviews. Then we checked the ingredients, formula, efficacy, and price. Based on this, we bring you the best shampoo for curly hair. Let’s have a look.
Top 10 Best Shampoos for Curly Hair
- SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER FOR CURLY HAIR: Curl shampoo and conditioner delicately cleanses hair while refreshing, enhancing, hydrating, and defining curls without weighing them down; Peachy pineapple scent
- MADE WITH 98% NATURALLY DERIVED INGREDIENTS: Infused with Tahitian Gardenia Flower and Mango Butter to moisturize and enhance curls
- SAFE FOR ALL CURLY HAIR TYPES: Safe for all curl types (2A, 2B, 2C, 3A, 3B, 3C, 4A, 4B, 4C); Safe for natural hair and color-treated hair
- MADE WITH GOOD VIBES ONLY: Sulfate surfactant-free, silicone-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, gluten-free, dye-free, cruelty-free, and vegan
- NOT YOUR MOTHER'S NATURALS: Try other Not Your Mother's Naturals shampoos and conditioners
- CURLY HAIR SHAMPOO: Sulfate free shampoo for color treated hair, curly hair or chemically treated hair. Deeply cleanse while smoothing with moisturizing coconut oil and silk proteins to leave hair healthy and shiny.
- CURL & SHINE HAIR CONDITIONER: Use conditioner daily after shampooing to restore moisture without weighing hair down. Hair is more manageable with fewer tangles, knots, and snarls. Leaves hair soft with bouncy curls.
- COCONUT OIL & HIBISCUS FLOWERS: Formulated with coconut oil with Vitamin E, K, iron and fatty acids as well as emollient hibiscus flowers, these ingredients deliver shine while reducing breakage.
- ALL HAIR TYPES: All hair types, especially curly hair, benefit from the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine sulfate free shampoo and conditioner set with organic shea butter. Hair is soft and smooth with healthy body.
- NEEM OIL & SILK PROTEIN: Neem oil and silk protein work together in our curly hair products to restore moisture, strengthen and help protect hair strands from breakage, snapping, or splitting, and restore hair's shine.
- SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Shampoo is a phthalate free shampoo, paraben free shampoo and cruelty-free, that hair gently cleanses natural hair and improves hair's health and restores shine.
- This curl enhancing shampoo is a natural hair shampoo that contains coconut oil to moisturize and protect hair while replenishing lost oil.Dye free
- SheaMoisture delivers this silicone free shampoo that is a curl care shampoo and also contains hibiscus flower extracts to improve hair elasticity while reducing the occurrence of breakage.
- The rich, creamy lather of SheaMoisture’s coconut and hibiscus women's shampoo and daily shampoo gently washes away impurities, leaving you with frizz free waves and curls
- All SheaMoisture curl enhancing hair products, natural hair products for curly hair and curl hair products for women are ethically traded, sustainably produced and cruelty-free.
- SheaMoisture hair products, like this coconut shampoo and shampoo for wavy hair, contain no silicones, no sulfates, no parabens, no phthalates, no mineral oil or petrolatum.
- Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair: This set is formulated for curly hair that needs lightweight, anti-frizz hydration; Coconut Oil delivers deep moisture for up to 48 hours of curl definition
- Lasting Moisture: Curly hair requires special care, and this formula is especially gentle, delivering hydration that won't weigh curls down and featuring coconut oil for soft, manageable, hydrated curls
- Sulfate Free Hair Care: Experience a rich, creamy formula and a fresh aromatic fragrance that blooms; Gentle on color and 100 percent free of sulfates, paraben, gluten, dyes, and formulated with vegan ingredients
- The Ever Collection: You can have a sulfate-free, salon quality hair care routine that’s tailor made for your specific hair care needs and concerns, including for dry, damaged, frizzy, thin or color treated hair
- L'Oreal Paris Beauty: A leading total beauty care company based in Paris, we offer innovative products and unique expertise from beauty experts in makeup, skin care, hair care, styling and hair color
- Boost your curls with this nourishing curl-enhancing shampoo Blended with coconut oil, the curly hair shampoo detangles, defines and hydrates waves and spirals, leaving hair looking smooth and bouncy
- BOOST YOUR CURLS: This 13-fluid ounce bottle of OGX Quenching, Coconut Curls Shampoo helps detangle, define and enhance curls for tumbling waves full of bounce and shine
- LUXURIOUS, DECADENT SPIRALS: Ideal for medium to coarse-textured hair and designed to enhance natural softness, the curly hair shampoo also quenches and hydrates your spirals, leaving them smooth and bouncy
- CURLY HAIR CARE INSPIRED BY NATURE: The nourishing blend contains coconut oil, which helps add luster and softness to hair, citrus oil to help clarify and reveal shine, and sweet honey, which has humectant properties that make it a great hair moisturizer
- ALL-AROUND SENSORY EXPERIENCE: The coconut milk, tangerine and warm vanilla scent leaves locks with an irresistibly good smell every time you lather up Plus the sulfate-free surfactant hair care system is paraben-free and gentle on your tresses
- This curly hair shampoo and conditioner set contains Curl Nourish Air Dry Butter Cream Leave In Treatment, Curl Nourish Shampoo, and Curl Nourish Conditioner, 3 day moisture that doesn't strip hair's natural moisture
- Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish System of Shampoo, Conditioner, and Air Dry Butter Cream Leave in Treatment gives your curls 24 hour frizz control Hair is stronger and curls are more defined, shinier and softer
- Curl Nourish Shampoo with the ingredient combination of Glycerin and Coconut Oil and has no sulfates, silicones or parabens; Conditioner with the ingredient combination of Glycerin and Coconut Oil and has no parabens
- Intense nourishment for stronger, smoother, frizz resistant curls with system of curly hair shampoo and conditioners and curly hair leave in conditioner treatment ; Leave in conditioner is formulated with Coconut, Jojoba, Macadamia Oils
- Formulas with Active Fruit Protein an exclusive combination of citrus protein, Vitamins B3 and B6, fruit and plant derived extracts and strengthening conditioners, are designed for healthier, stronger hair
- HYDRATING SHAMPOO: This moisturizing curly hair shampoo hydrates thin or thick natural hair with Shea Butter, Aloe and Rosemary so it’s softer and more manageable and gives your hair healthy shine
- HYDRATING CONDITIONER: This deep conditioner for curly hair made with a blend of Shea Butter and Rosemary can put an end to dry hair and balance moisture while detangling and making thick or thin easier to style
- FOR DRY, DAMAGED HAIR: Sulfate free shampoo cleanses and restores moisture without adding weight to textured hair; Detangles and smooths wet hair to lessen breakage. Light enough to use daily and works great as co-wash
- COILY, CURLY, WAVY HAIR PRODUCTS: Carol’s Daughter Collection created for 4C, 4B, 4A, 3C, 3B, 3A, 2C, 2B, 2A curl types; Complete the routine with: Curly Hair Shampoo and Conditioner Set, Leave in Conditioner, Hair Smoothie, Hair Oil and Edge Control
- HOW TO USE: Apply the shampoo and massage into your hair and scalp; Rinse well; Follow with moisturizing conditioner; Massage gently into scalp and hair, especially the ends; Leave in conditioner for 3-5 minutes and then rinse hair
- BLACK WOMAN FOUNDED: Lisa Price founded Carol's Daughter in her Brooklyn kitchen in 1993 with a mother's love and encouragement; Today we carry a full line of textured hair care products for women and men to care for all waves, curls and coils
- Curl-defining coconut oil anti-frizz shampoo
- DE-FRIZZ and DEFINE CURLS: This 13-fluid ounce bottle of Maui Moisture Curl Quench and Coconut Oil Shampoo helps hydrate, smooth and defrizz curls while enhancing softness and body
- CURLY HAIR CARE: Ideal for tight curls, the anti-frizz shampoo is safe for use on color-treated hair to help detangle, protect and define your hair's natural curl pattern leaving behind shiny, bouncy curls
- UNIQUE BLEND WITH ALOE VERA: The rich blend of this curl-defining vegan shampoo contains 100% aloe vera as the first ingredient along with coconut milk, plumeria extract and papaya extract
- NOT ALL MOISTURE IS THE SAME: The gentle and nourishing formula of this sulfate-free surfactant shampoo is vegan, free from silicones, parabens and mineral oil and contains no synthetic dyes
- Moisturized Curly Hair- Dream Lengths Curls shampoo and conditioner fill and seal curls with moisture for up to 72 hours without weigh down when used with system. Say goodbye to frizzy curls. Best for wavy hair to curly hair
- Curly Hair Care- Dream Lengths Curls paraben-free nourishing formulas help achieve hydrated, defined, bouncy, soft curly hair without the weigh down
- Formulated for Curls- with hyaluronic acid and castor oil, Elvive Dream Lengths Curls regimen helps locks in long-lasting moisture for deeply hydrated curls from scalp to tip and defines curls by sculpting and retaining shape
- Moisture Push Shampoo and Moisture Seal Conditioner add moisture, No-Build Up Micellar Shampoo gently removes build-up, Non-Stop Dreamy Curls leave-in conditioner defines and Refresh and Reshape Curl leave-in spray refreshes
- Irresistible Fragrance- Dream Lengths Curls has a sweet candy fragrance with notes of pomegranate, caramel orchid and milk sorbet, making it indulgent
- SULFATE FREE SHAMPOO WITH COCONUT OIL FOR CURLY HAIR: Our shampoo with coconut oil, created specifically for curly hair, provides maximum hydration by targeting dryness and boosting moisture.
- INFUSED WITH VITAMIN B1: This TRESemme shampoo for curly hair is infused with Vitamin B1 to help detangle hair and control frizz.
- HAIR CONDITIONER PROVIDES CURL DEFINITION: Get intentional, manageable and gorgeous curls and waves with TRESemme Flawless Curls Conditioner.
- CURLY HAIR SYSTEM STRENGTHENS & TAMES FRIZZ: This system designed for curly hair helps nourish and strengthen hair while taming frizz.
- 7X MORE HYDRATED CURLS*: TRESemme Flawless Curls Shampoo and Conditioner regimen uses an advanced curl hydration system that provides 7X more hydrated curls * vs. non-conditioning shampoo.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Shampoos for Curly Hair
When it comes to choosing the best shampoo for curly hair, the most important thing to consider is the ingredients. If you’re particularly allergic to a specific ingredient, make sure to only choose products that don’t contain it. This way, you won’t experience allergies or irritation when using a shampoo.
Another important thing to consider is the price. You shouldn’t always chase the cheapest product on the market as it can cause problems in the long run. Similarly, just because a product is expensive doesn’t mean that it’s the right product for you. Make sure to do your due diligence when shopping for the best shampoo for curly hair.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
When looking for the best shampoo for curly hair, it’s better to avoid harsh chemicals. Generally, it’s better to look for a product that doesn’t contain synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc. Even the reputable products can sometimes contain these chemicals, it’s important to look at the formula. Too much of these chemicals can be bad for you.
If a product is well-received on Amazon, chances are it’s usually pretty good. These reviews are generally a testament to the efficacy of a product. When shopping for the best shampoo for curly hair, you should usually go with product with the star rating of 3. 5 or more. The higher the better!
Read Customer Reviews
Reading customer reviews can also be helpful when purchasing the best shampoo for curly hair. It’s possible that someone else who has the same needs as you has already tried and reviewed the product. Reading their review will give you an idea on whether or not the shampoo you’re looking to buy is worth your time and money.
Finally, when it comes to beauty, skincare, or hair care products, it’s usually better to stick with reputable products. There are so many products available on the market, but the brands which have stood the test of time are the ones that you should generally go for. At the same time, don’t be afraid of experimenting with new products.
No matter which shampoo you’re considering, it’s important to do a patch test first (even if a product is well-received). Everyone is different and so are their needs. So, always be sure to do a patch test when you try out a new product.
It can be challenging to find the best shampoo for curly hair. However, we’ve done all the heavy-lifting for you. We hope this article helped you find the best shampoo for your needs.
Which one of these shampoos are you going to try? Let us know in the comments below. If you have any questions, ask away.