With so many options, finding the best shampoo for colored hair can be overwhelming. There are so many things to consider such as ingredients, formula, brand name, price, and so much more. Needless to say, this can be pretty time-consuming.
To save you the hassle, we researched hundreds of products and sifted through thousands of customer reviews. Then we checked the ingredients, formula, efficacy, and price. Based on this, we bring you the best shampoo for colored hair. Let’s have a look.
Top 10 Best Shampoos for Colored Hair
- Shampoo for normal, color treated hair
- Helps Protect Against Color Fade
- Up to 60 days sealed-in color vibrancy based on 4 washings per week
- Formulated with anti-oxidants and UV filters to help restore hair
- L'Oreal Paris Hair Expert is now L'Oreal Paris Elvive - new look, same amazing formula
- Professional shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair
- Colour shampoo nourishes; smooths and softens coloured hair
- Colour conditioner moisturises; smooths and conditions coloured hair
- Both hair products are colour safe and enhance colour vibrancy
- Bed Head by TIGI Colour Goddess Shampoo and Conditioner Set contains a 25.36 fl oz shampoo and 25.36 fl oz conditioner
- STRENGTHENING COLOR CARE: Oat is the first ingredient in this scalp-soothing farm-fresh inspired shampoo blend infused with blackberry & quinoa protein to help preserve color & protect against heat styling
- PREVENT FADING: Infused with protein, this shampoo helps prevent fading & strengthens strands. It's free of sulfates, dyes & parabens, good for all hair types & ideal for color treated hair.
- FARM FRESH INSPIRED: We make hair care products that promote healthy hair & scalp, from shampoo & conditioner to hair masks, leave-in milks, mists & oils.
- SOOTHING PROPERTIES: We've been a trusted household brand since 1945. We're best known for our skin & hair care products, where oat's soothing properties are put to work on body, face and scalp
- BEAUTIFUL HAIR FROM ROOT TO TIP: Our hair care products are blended in perfect balance with wholesome ingredients to help soothe your scalp and nourish your strands for beautiful hair from root to tip
- Color Safe Shampoo: Low pH shampoo for color-treated hair helps prolong color vibrancy. Gently cleanses to prevent unnecessary stripping of color. Suitable for color-treated or natural hair. Paraben free
- Benefits: Inspired by nature's orchid, Color Last helps maintain the color, depth, tone and shine for vivid color-treated hair. Gives hair salon-vibrant color for up to 9 weeks when using the system
- Additional Benefits: A professional inspired hair treatment to help protect hair balance moisture and even out the hairs surface for saturated shiny vibrant color that stays radiant for weeks
- Suggested Use: Apply to wet hair and lather with a massaging motion. We recommend that you pair Color Last Shampoo with Color Last Conditioner to help maintain your color-treated hair.
- Color Last Collection: Color Last system of Shampoo and Conditioner, nourishes and protects to help maintain the shine of color-treated hair. Color last Shampoo with low pH prolongs color vibrancy.
- 100% Pure and Natural: Botanic Hearth products are 100% pure and natural. This means they are free from toxins, additives, or any nasty chemicals. Completely unfiltered and undiluted for the best result
- Hair Care Set For Color-Protection - This extraordinary shampoo and conditioner set is specifically designed to help provide long-lasting colour vibrancy to your hair and deeply moisturise the follicles
- Powerful Ingredients: The Colour-Protecting Shampoo and Conditioner set is expertly formulated with powerful ingredients that helps nourishes the hair and transform its surface, without harming your hair colour and appearance. Using the best of ingredients with the best of practices not only ensures that our products are of the highest quality, but Botanic Hearth also ensures that hey are perfect for your various skincare, haircare and self care needs
- Ethically Sourced & Cruelty-free: Botanic Hearth products are made or packaged in the USA, cruelty-free, and not tested on animals
- Redken Color Extend Shampoo for color-treated hair gently cleanses and protects to leave hair manageable, refreshed, and shiny. Color protecting shampoo prevents color fading.
- Professional color protection shampoo formulated with Redken's Color Care Complex. Provides stronger protection to extend life and vibrancy of hair color.
- Shampoo for color treated hair, provides shine, smoothness, maximum color vibrancy, and hair manageability. This professional shampoo leaves color-treated hair smooth, manageable, and radiant.
- Protects color-treated hair to leave hair smooth, manageable and shiny. Locks in hair color to look fully vibrant and radiant mirror-like shine. Protects hair against color fading away. Provides maximum color security and root lift.
- The formula strengthens and restructures hair color. Color shampoo fights against the four causes of hair color change: environmental aggressors, poor cuticle condition, color altering minerals and water.
- Color Extend Shmpoo by Redken For Unisex
- Color Extend Shmpoo by Redken for Unisex
- Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner: This Shampoo and Conditioner set infused with rosemary deeply replenishes dry hair with moisture, softness and luminous shine, perfect for color treated hair
- Lasting Moisture: Color-treated hair requires special care, and this formula is especially gentle, keeping color pure for up to 4 weeks with no weigh down and featuring the delicate scent of rosemary
- Sulfate Free Hair Care: Experience a rich, creamy formula and a fresh aromatic fragrance that blooms; Gentle on color and 100 percent free of sulfates, paraben, gluten, dyes, and formulated with vegan ingredients
- The Ever Collection: You can have a sulfate-free, salon quality hair care routine that’s tailor made for your specific hair care needs and concerns, including for dry, damaged, frizzy, thin or color treated hair
- L'Oreal Paris Beauty: A leading total beauty care company based in Paris, we offer innovative products and unique expertise from beauty experts in makeup, skin care, hair care, styling and hair color
- VIBRANT HAIR COLOR: Nexxus Color Assure Sulfate Free Shampoo cleanses color-treated hair and long-lasting vibrancy
- LASTING COLOR HAIR PROTECTION: This color safe shampoo extends color vibrancy for up to 40 washes and is a great shampoo for colored treated hair
- REAWAKEN COLORED HAIR: This sulfate free shampoo for color treated hair is also a silicone free shampoo and replenishes colored hair with nutrients lost during the coloration process
- COLOR SAFE SHAMPOO: Infused with an exclusive PROTEINFUSION blend with Elastin Protein and Quinoa, this shampoo for colored hair helps bring your hair back to life
- SHAMPOO FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR: This color shampoo is safe for use on colored treated hair. Restore shine and enhance hair color for a vividly brighter look
- COLOR SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER: For best results, use the Color Assure Sulfate Free Shampoo with the Nexxus Color Assure Long Lasting Vibrancy Conditioner
- HARD WORKING: Fuels hair with a potent blend of Pro-V nutrients and antioxidants so hair is shiny and hydrated
- LONG LASTING: Gently cleanses and conditions with a vitamin-rich formula with 2x more nutrients, with results that last 72+ hours
- SHINE WITH EVERY WASH: Nourish color treated hair to fight fade and restore shine with every wash
- ROOT TO TIP NOURISHMENT: These powerful Radiant Color Shine formulas work together to hydrate colored hair, helping to protect color and reveal shiny, vibrant hair
- Volumizing Shampoo: Pure Volume vegan Shampoo weightlessly lifts and volumizes hair, best for flat, fine hair but great for all hair types, clarifies buildup to lift at the roots, refreshing the scalp
- Lifting Formula: This lightweight volumizing formula pumps up fine, flat hair with body and movement; Wheat Protein adds volume, and Eucalyptus Leaf Extract supports hair follicles for optimal growth
- Key Benefits: Weightlessly volumizes hair, clarifying the scalp to lift at the roots; adds body and shape, and leaves hair with natural movement; best for fine, flat hair but works well for all types
- Suggested Use: Apply a dime-sized amount to wet hair at the scalp, emulsify into a lather and work down to the ends focusing on the scalp first. Rinse. Repeat for extra cleansing. Then condition hair
- Trusted by salons and professionals, Pureology's shampoo formulas are sulfate-free, paraben-free, vegan, and safe for color treated hair. Try the Pure Volume Conditioner for more volumizing benefits
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Shampoos for Colored Hair
When it comes to choosing the best shampoo for colored hair, the most important thing to consider is the ingredients. If you’re particularly allergic to a specific ingredient, make sure to only choose products that don’t contain it. This way, you won’t experience allergies or irritation when using a shampoo.
Another important thing to consider is the price. You shouldn’t always chase the cheapest product on the market as it can cause problems in the long run. Similarly, just because a product is expensive doesn’t mean that it’s the right product for you. Make sure to do your due diligence when shopping for the best shampoo for colored hair.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
When looking for the best shampoo for colored hair, it’s better to avoid harsh chemicals. Generally, it’s better to look for a product that doesn’t contain synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc. Even the reputable products can sometimes contain these chemicals, it’s important to look at the formula. Too much of these chemicals can be bad for you.
If a product is well-received on Amazon, chances are it’s usually pretty good. These reviews are generally a testament to the efficacy of a product. When shopping for the best shampoo for colored hair, you should usually go with product with the star rating of 3. 5 or more. The higher the better!
Read Customer Reviews
Reading customer reviews can also be helpful when purchasing the best shampoo for colored hair. It’s possible that someone else who has the same needs as you has already tried and reviewed the product. Reading their review will give you an idea on whether or not the shampoo you’re looking to buy is worth your time and money.
Finally, when it comes to beauty, skincare, or hair care products, it’s usually better to stick with reputable products. There are so many products available on the market, but the brands which have stood the test of time are the ones that you should generally go for. At the same time, don’t be afraid of experimenting with new products.
No matter which shampoo you’re considering, it’s important to do a patch test first (even if a product is well-received). Everyone is different and so are their needs. So, always be sure to do a patch test when you try out a new product.
It can be challenging to find the best shampoo for colored hair. However, we’ve done all the heavy-lifting for you. We hope this article helped you find the best shampoo for your needs.
Which one of these shampoos are you going to try? Let us know in the comments below. If you have any questions, ask away.