With so many options, finding the best moisturizer for dry scalp can be overwhelming. There are so many things to consider such as ingredients, formula, brand name, price, and so much more. Needless to say, this can be pretty time-consuming.
To save you the hassle, we researched hundreds of products and sifted through thousands of customer reviews. Then we checked the ingredients, formula, efficacy, and price. Based on this, we bring you the best moisturizer for dry scalp. Let’s have a look.
Top 10 Best Moisturizers for Dry Scalp
- MOISTURIZING HAIR SCALP TREATMENT – Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Daily Moisture Scalp Cream is a leave-in, daily hair treatment to seal in moisture and prevent flakes and itch*. Use it to wash less, extend the life of your style and have healthy hair and scalp.
- PREVENT DRYNESS AND ITCH – Use as a hair moisturizer and dry scalp treatment to prevent dryness and itch associated with dandruff. The light, absorbing no-rinse formula helps restore scalp health and provides 24-hour scalp protection*.
- SULFATE FREE – Expertly designed specifically for natural, relaxed, kinky, and coily hair types, this itchy scalp treatment is made with coconut oil, is dye and sulfate free, and free of mineral oils. Great for protective styles, twists and locs.
- RESPECT THE CROWN – Anoint your crown with nothing but the best scalp care. Developed for Black hair by Black scientists, the entire Head and Shoulders Royal Oils line helps balance natural moisture levels for healthy hair and a healthy scalp.
- FOR BEST RESULTS – Use daily to nourish and protect scalp. Place the tip directly on scalp and squeeze bottle, moving from front of scalp to back, ensuring the entire scalp is treated. Use fingers to massage into scalp. Can be used up to four times daily.
- HAIR GREASE: This citrus scented shine pomade moisturizes frizzy and dull hair, hydrates scalp, smoothes edges and controls hair waves; It’s sure to become a part of your daily maintenance for beautiful, healthy hair
- MOISTURIZE AND DEFINE: The lightweight formula enhances thick curly hair that adds shine and sheen; start seeing results that go a long way after using product after just a couple weeks; Great for dry and brittle hair providing softness
- NOURISH NATURALLY CURLY HAIR: From the short-cropped 4c curly hairstyle to 1c waves, we use the ingredients your curls crave, leaving little residue and a soft finish; contains no parabens, silicones, petrolatum, mineral oil, or artificial colors
- HOW TO USE: Place a small amount into the palm of your hands and rub together. Gently work into your damp or dry hair and scalp. Can be used as a moisturizer (itch relief), a heat-styling aid, or great for daily maintenance on children’s hair
- COILY, CURLY, WAVY HAIR PRODUCTS: Carol’s Daughter Collection created for natural hair with 4C, 4B, 4A, 3C, 3B, 3A, 2C, 2B, 2A curl types; Complete the routine with: Curly Hair Shampoo and Conditioner set, Leave in Conditioner, Hair Mask and Hair Oil
- BLACK WOMAN FOUNDED: Lisa Price founded Carol's Daughter in her Brooklyn kitchen in 1993 with a mother's love and encouragement; Today we carry a full line of textured hair care products for women and men to care for all waves, curls and coils
- CLINICALLY PROVEN ~ to treat and reduce itchy, irritated & dry scalp. Dry scalp treatment for women and men keeps dandruff off your hair, head and shoulders and provides relief to itchiness.
- ITCHY SCALP - Kamedis overnight, leave-on cream works with your skin and hair to provide quick relief from scalp conditions like dandruff and flakiness.
- Nutrient-Rich scalp moisturizer ~ Our scalp lotion is made with Mineral Oil, Shea Butter, and botanical extracts - effective ingredients that help treat a flaky, scaly, itchy, irritated, and/or red scalp.
- SCALP TREATMENT: This OTC scalp lotion provides relief for a red and itchy scalp caused by chronic scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and common dandruff.
- GENTLE FOR BABIES & POWERFUL ENOUGH FOR ADULTS ~ Safe and gentle for babies 6 months and older and powerful enough for adults. FREE OF STEROIDS and other harsh chemicals to give you SAFE and EFFECTIVE relief.
- ✅ Lightweight hydration formula for the scalp – deeply conditions dry scalp & strengthens hair – use after shampooing & conditioning hair & before drying & styling – and/or use separately as a moisturizer several times – daily during the week, non-greasy, absorbs nicely – helps protect your hair & promotes healthier, fuller hair
- ✅ Nutrient-rich formula – packed with natural ingredients – formulated for the modern, health-conscious woman: Willow Bark Extract – powerful exfoliant, eliminates flakes & dandruff, clears excess oil out of skin pores, has anti-inflammatory properties, helps stop itching & maintain healthy oil balance; Coconut Oil – nourishes scalp, adds natural, protective moisture to the scalp & hair, reduces hair breakage & split ends, promotes softness, contains antioxidants & healthy fatty acids
- ✅ Ceramides – natural lipid fats, enhance shine, promote elasticity & moisture retention, help smooth textured hair, strengthen hair, very beneficial to chemically treated hair; Other natural ingredients – shea butter, aloe vera, German chamomile flower, soybean seed & honey extracts
- ✅ Proven effective – independent study found: 97% of participants who used LivSo treatment for 12 weeks preferred it to other dry hair & scalp products; 91% showed improvement in scalp condition after just 4 weeks; 78% average scalp improvement among all study participants
- ✅ LivSo Moisturizing Scalp Lotion – not medication or treatment for medical disorder; contains alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) – to exfoliate & soothe inflamed skin – AHA may increase your skin’s sun sensitivity – best to use sunscreen & limit exposure to direct sun over long periods of time
- SCALP RELIEF: The natural, pure botanicals in this leave-in spray provide cooling, calming relief to soothe itchy, dry scalps, helping improve your overall hair health.
- BENEFITS OF TEA TREE: Tea Tree is a natural extract that is designed to balance and purify scalp and hair. This ingredient can even help prevent dandruff or more severe conditions like psoriasis.
- LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER: This lightweight spray works to detangle and soften individual strands of hair, making it easy to style and perfect for individuals with unruly, curly, or coarse hair
- NOURISHING AND BALANCING: Packed with beneficial vitamins and nutrients. The natural oils present in the tea tree and other ingredients replace lost moisture due to environmental factors.
- INGREDIENTS: With a natural botanical profile packed with fresh tea tree oil, mint, and coconut oil, this moisturizer and conditioner spray will revitalize your hair.
- WHO IT’S FOR: Those with a dry, flaky, itchy scalp. For men and women. For all hair types.
- WHAT IT IS: A scalp treatment mask that nourishes and soothes an itchy, irritated, flaky scalp.
- WHAT IT DOES: Increases scalp hydration and restores vital moisture post-exfoliation.
- HIGHLIGHTED INGREDIENTS: Binchotan charcoal detoxifies and aloe vera and hyaluronic acid hydrates.
- SAFE FOR: Color treated, keratin treated, chemically-treated, and relaxed hair.
- DAILY PROTECTION: Common toxins such as pollution or sun exposure can cause further damage to skin and hair. Antioxidants from Argan Oil adds an extra layer of protection against environmental factors.
- SALON-LIKE TREATMENT: Argan Oil for hair locks in natural moisture by boosting superior hydration levels. Its penetrating vitamins tame frizzy, brittle hair from roots to ends, and balances hair oil production.
- SKIN NOURISHMENT: Helps reduce redness and skin irritation with its anti-aging properties. A non-comedogenic facial oil that is not too oily on the skin.
- VERSATILE MOISTURIZER: It's not just Argan Oil for face but it works for your body too. The only and best moisturizer to treat your skin, face, hair and nails to its softest and supplest conditions the way nature intended.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We offer a satisfaction guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied with our Argan Oil of Morocco, please contact us for a replacement or a FULL refund.
- Hydrating Shampoo - We use the power of plants and pure essential oils our Aloe Vera Leaf sensitive scalp shampoo that takes hair care to the next level with the help of sunflower and jojoba oil
- Aloe for Hair Care - Our paraben free shampoo was formulated for all hair types including dry damaged thick or fine hair with ingredients rich in nutrients and vitamins A B C D E and fatty acids
- Aloe Vera Juice - Aloe vera oil for hair provides you with vital nutrients for scalp care in our nourishing sensitive scalp shampoo sulfate free paraben free formula for superior hair hydration
- Volumizing Shampoo - Our formula includes plant-based keratin to deeply moisturize your hair and scalp leaving your hair smooth soft shiny and fuller looking thanks to our ultra hydrating aloe shampoo
- Premium Quality - Treat your hair with cleansing and hydrating plant based ingredients that deeply nourish your hair such as jojoba oil and a wide range of essentials oil for hair care you can trust
- Hydrate and Cleanse in 1 simple step with Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Hydro Boost Moisturizing Conditioner
- Ideal for Dry Hair and Scalp: This conditioner helps add moisture to boost long lasting hydration
- With Hyaluronic Acid: A hydrator found naturally in the skin that attracts moisture and locks it in
- Gentle, Non Medicated Conditioner: Free from parabens, phthalates, sulfated surfactants, SLS and SLES
- Helps Maintain Scalp's Natural Barrier: This nourishing pH balanced conditioner helps maintain scalp's natural barrier with regular use
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Moisturizers for Dry Scalp
When it comes to choosing the best moisturizer for dry scalp, the most important thing to consider is the ingredients. If you’re particularly allergic to a specific ingredient, make sure to only choose products that don’t contain it. This way, you won’t experience allergies or irritation when using a moisturizer.
Another important thing to consider is the price. You shouldn’t always chase the cheapest product on the market as it can cause problems in the long run. Similarly, just because a product is expensive doesn’t mean that it’s the right product for you. Make sure to do your due diligence when shopping for the best moisturizer for dry scalp.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
When looking for the best moisturizer for dry scalp, it’s better to avoid harsh chemicals. Generally, it’s better to look for a product that doesn’t contain synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc. Even the reputable products can sometimes contain these chemicals, it’s important to look at the formula. Too much of these chemicals can be bad for you.
If a product is well-received on Amazon, chances are it’s usually pretty good. These reviews are generally a testament to the efficacy of a product. When shopping for the best moisturizer for dry scalp, you should usually go with product with the star rating of 3. 5 or more. The higher the better!
Read Customer Reviews
Reading customer reviews can also be helpful when purchasing the best moisturizer for dry scalp. It’s possible that someone else who has the same needs as you has already tried and reviewed the product. Reading their review will give you an idea on whether or not the moisturizer you’re looking to buy is worth your time and money.
Finally, when it comes to beauty, skincare, or hair care products, it’s usually better to stick with reputable products. There are so many products available on the market, but the brands which have stood the test of time are the ones that you should generally go for. At the same time, don’t be afraid of experimenting with new products.
No matter which moisturizer you’re considering, it’s important to do a patch test first (even if a product is well-received). Everyone is different and so are their needs. So, always be sure to do a patch test when you try out a new product.
It can be challenging to find the best moisturizer for dry scalp. However, we’ve done all the heavy-lifting for you. We hope this article helped you find the best moisturizer for your needs.
Which one of these moisturizers are you going to try? Let us know in the comments below. If you have any questions, ask away.